Saturday, June 19, 2010

New book from Cyprian Consiglio.. . .

I signed up to review a book here and there and actually have one to offer tonight. (I do a lot of academic reading in scripture and theology but I'm not sure it's to every one's taste. If you think it might be, let me know and I'll share it with you as well.) This week I received Prayer in the Cave of the Heart: The Universal Call to Contemplation by Cyprian Consiglio, OSB Cam., published by Liturgical Press in Collegeville.

Consiglio is a student of Fr. Bede Griffiths whose work I admire greatly. He's part of the effort among contemplatives to find the intersection between East and West and to invite readers into prayer that makes them "present to the Spirit who is already present to us." I found the book readable and well-founded in strong patristic and biblical scholarship with a clear respect for other traditions outside traditional Christianity. I've been down many of these routes myself and can appreciate the kind of homework he's done for many years. Like Fr. Bede, he lists his address as an ashram in India.

Currently I'm reading Judy Cannato's Field of Compassion and will let you know what I find there later.

May have already mentioned this, but I'm been very interested in Jewish mysticism for the last couple of years. Currently reading two books by Rabbi Arthur Green and having email exchanges with him.

Periodically I take a few days in a seminary library to reflect and study. I regularly use a Roman Catholic seminary in Emmitsburg, MD, an Episcopal seminary in Alexandria, VA, where I have friends on the faculty and the Union Theological Seminary (Presbyterian) in nearby Richmond, VA. I've never spent time in a Hebrew seminary but would relish the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment